KOHLER Construction and Project Management Meritorious Award Winner:
Seascape Showroom by Livefirm Construction
This project is the seismic strengthening and renovating of a historic building known as The White Rabbit. The building was constructed in 1876 and is one of the oldest buildings on Auckland’s waterfront. It was originally constructed as a hotel and was known as the Britomart Hotel.
Once upgraded and renovated, the building will be incorporated into, and be a key feature of the larger development, referred to as Seascape Auckland, which will be a 187m high apartment building. Once completed it will be the second tallest building in NZ behind the Sky Tower. The building will house the Seascape Apartment showroom and Shundi Customs Ltd.’s office for the next few years.
The building is scheduled in the Auckland City Council's Central Area District Plan, in Category B. It is also scheduled in the Proposed Auckland Unitary Plan, in category B. The building is registered by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust as part of the Customs Street Historic Area.
NZCBIA members that were involved in the project, and their project roles are as follow:
• Frank Xu is the project manager representing the client, Shundi Customs Ltd;
• Ken Hu is the structural engineer of BECA, playing the main role in design and monitoring of the seismic strengthening;
• Origin Fire Consultants is the Fire Engineer;
• LiveFirm Construction is the main contractor.
The project started on site on 16/10/2018 and targeted to open the showroom before 2019 Chinese New Year on 5/2/19 (Stage 1) and the office area by 30/4/2019 (Stage 2). There were many challenges, the biggest one was working on a heritage building with very tight timeframes (for both Stages). So all parties needed to work together closely and efficiently. The notable collaboration effort were:
• Frank and LiveFirm Team worked closely to ensure the project plan and targets were clear with everyone moving towards the same direction; and ensuring that key heritage items were planned and ordered well ahead to avoid any delay to the programme. Weekly project meetings were used to coordinate all parties in terms of safety, programme, cost, design coordination, quality control, and heritage management works.
• Ken and LiveFirm Team worked closely to overcome the typical issues of renovation works:
▪ Removal to expose the existing structure
▪ Fast track design (or redesign & approval by BECA or Council
▪ LiveFirm Team to provide practical details when needed
▪ Carry out construction work under very close monitoring and supervision by BECA
• Frank worked closely with Ken and BECA’s team also broke down the structural design works into stages to fast track the construction works on site without delay from the consenting or amendment process.
• Frank worked closely with Origin’s fire engineers to ensure the most effective fire protection solutions for the building and protection of heritage items. Achievements: The team’ collaboration efforts enabled them to successfully deliver the project and achieve the following goals:
• Both Stage 1 and Stage 2 completed on time as planned;
• Successfully controlled the contract cost within the budget;
• All heritage items comply with heritage architect specification and Auckland Council Heritage team requirement;
• Seismic strengthening complies with engineer’s specification.
LiveFirm建筑公司针对以上挑战，合理调配公司资源，与设计顾问（包括BECA的结构工程师，Origin Fire的消防工程师，Babbage Consultant的机电工程师）紧密合作，积极协助业主控制造价，积极配合市政府历史建筑团队和古迹建筑师保护修缮保护构件。